OUR COMMUNITY

A blog about life, current issues and governance at Cimarron Hills


Sunday, March 13, 2011

Board election nominations available

You should have received a Request for Candidates form from our management company, Rossmar & Graham.  This is basically your application form to place yourself on the ballot for the Cimarron Hills HOA Board of Directors.  If you did not receive this form, and would like place yourself on the list of candidates standing for election, please e-mail me and I will e-mail or fax a form to you.  After what happened with the mailing of our special election ballots, I am assuming nothing at this stage.
I have not yet completely decided  to run for office in the election, although I am certainly leaning to doing it.  I thought I was done with my Board service at CH HOA, but maybe not.  The most telling question on the Request for Candidates is: "Why do you want to serve on the Cimarron Hills Board of Directors?".
Indeed, that is a very good question.  In my case, this time around I will run because I believe we need a turnaround in how our HOA is run.  My choice of the word "turnaround" should not indicate to you that we are in financial straits; we are not.  Not should it indicate that our management is in a shambles; it isn't, although there are some things I would change.  However it is my observation that the culture of our Board needs significant change.  Our Board needs not to Major in minor things, but to focus on a few, important, common sense issues.  As I have said previously, this should not be hard. But apparently it is.  Or at least for our recent Boards.
If I had to sum it up, our Board should concern itself primarily with quality of CH life, financial and physical security.  That's it.
I hope we have many candidates.  I do not care if they are young, old, men, women, employed or retired.  All I would tell prospective candidates is that while it is a privilege to serve it is also a job.  The Board is not the place to regain the ego satisfaction that you previously obtained elsewhere, nor is it the place to further your own business interests.
The manifesto that now has its own tab at the top of this blog lists in greater detail what I think is important for our Board, and the qualifications and disqualifications to service.

No comments:

Post a Comment