OUR COMMUNITY

A blog about life, current issues and governance at Cimarron Hills


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Board election candidacy

You will know that I have stated in previous posts that while I have been seriously considering offering myself for election to our HOA Board, I had not absolutely decided.  Reason being that, while on the one hand I plan on being a very long-term resident of Cimarron Hills and care deeply about our community, I am also under no illusion about what the commitment entails. I've done it before. I received a letter today from  part-time CH residents Jerome and Linda Carlson which made up my mind.  I will be a candidate for our Board in the forthcoming election.
The Carlsons, apparently, take umbrage at a section from my Manifesto for Cimarron Hills, which I am reproducing below:
Maintenance of the quality of life and security of our community should be the primary concern of the Board consistent with conservative and sensible financial and operating practices.  This does not strike me as being that hard to grasp, but apparently it is for some.
In our most recent Board meeting I watched a resident who, from what I heard, was rightly quite angry and despairing about the unwillingness of the Board to enforce our CC&Rs.  What I heard about were not minor infractions, so, if I can grasp that enforcing our important CC&Rs (we are not talking about a bin left out overnight here) is essential to maintaining our quality of life, how is it that our Board does not?  I asked Mr. Friedman very directly if he had consulted our HOA attorney on legal remedies.  I did not receive a reply.

Other residents have complained about excessive speed in our community since the Board removed the speed humps.  I asked Mr. Friedman a direct question about measured speeds in our community at the February Board meeting and did not receive a reply.  If we do not know if traffic is faster or slower now, how might we even begin to address the issue of road safety in our community?

I believe I am correct to question the quality of the judgment that is, and has been displayed by our Board members on these and other issues.  If you agree with me, I will appreciate your support in the upcoming Board election.

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion the speed humps did not do anything to slow down the traffic. We walk Queens Wreath almost each day and when the speed humps were in place cars would drive up on the sidewalk to lessen the impact and avoid having to slow down. The humps are hard on our cars even at the posted speed along with presenting a problem for emergency vehicles. Cimarron Ridge resident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see another resident sees the speed bumps as a mechanical problem. We had 5 speed bumps. If you work daily and make an extra trip a day, you avg going over 14,000 speed bumps a year per vehicle. That destroys front ends, shocks, brakes etc. It appears I am not the only one who has done care repairs because of the speed bumps.

    If residents will not slow down the board will have to find a way to enforce speed limits.

    ReplyDelete