OUR COMMUNITY

A blog about life, current issues and governance at Cimarron Hills


Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bobcat Alert!

I came a little early from work today to find that I had disturbed a small female Bobcat who had been asleep on one of our back patios.  That patio gets the sun in the afternoon, so I imagine it's a comfortable place to crash out.  I was pretty quiet, and the Bobcat moved around to our other patio, sat down and scratched its ear.  This is not the first time I've seen a Bobcat around the yard, in fact it's almost Bobcat highway.  At least I know now where the rabbits have gone.  Got a very poor picture with my Blackberry which didn't work well through the sun screen.


I delight in the wildlife that also makes Cimarron Hills their home.  Chasing javelina from the front yard to prevent them eating my wife's plants has been a sometime pastime of mine.  (Contrary to popular belief javelina are not fierce unless you force them to be so.  The poor souls are blind as bats, don't have the best hearing and rely a lot on their noses).

About the only things I find very hard to love -- in fact I really don't like them -- are bark scorpions.  I do feel sorry though, for the giant desert hairy and striped tailed scorpions that get stomped, squished and sprayed after being mistaken for their more nasty brethren.  By the way, if, if you want to teach your children how to recognise a bark scorpion, tell them: "Big claws, small sting.  Small claws, big sting".
I care far more about preserving our community in a way that will allow us to continue to enjoy our wild neighbors and desert scenery than I ever will about renaming our recreation center a "Club" or building a monument at our entry so that those without navigation skills may locate our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment