OUR COMMUNITY

A blog about life, current issues and governance at Cimarron Hills


Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Conflicts of interest and good governance Pt. I

There are many definitions of a conflict of interest. One that I find apropos to our homeowners' association is this: "conflict of interest n. a situation in which a person has a duty to more than one person or organization, but cannot do justice to the actual or potentially adverse interests of both parties."
I wonder, then, how it is that an individual might serve on both our HOA Board and that of McDowell Mountain Ranch? Certainly it is both disingenuous and incorrect to assert that the interests of these bodies are always aligned. In my opinion, recusal from a conflicted discussion is an inadequate remedy. It robs one or other of the homeowners' association of the service of a Board member who was elected to that post to fully discharge their duties.
And, I might add, just because someone may serve on both Boards, doesn't mean that they should.
Our association manager has told me that one member of our Board currently serves on both Boards. I urge that person to do the right thing. Pick one.

1 comment:

  1. At our latest Board meeting a conflict between MMR and CHHOA was discussed. What is Mr. Feldman's position on this as a dual Board member?
    I think we deserve an answer to that.

    ReplyDelete