OUR COMMUNITY

A blog about life, current issues and governance at Cimarron Hills


Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Letter to the Board on current issues

As many of you are aware, there has been considerable controversy lately over proposed spending by our HOA Board, and other good governance issues. I will have a more detailed post on the various communications we have all received soon. Just busy. But I do want to share a letter I sent to our Board before their last meeting:

***********************

November 16th, 2010

Board members of Cimarron Hill Homeowners Association.

Gentlemen:

I would have chosen to attend your meeting of November 18th, however I will be in Washington DC. As an alternative, I am providing you input on two items on your agenda by letter.

Proposal to consider expanding fitness facilities.

Without discussing whether an expansion of our fitness facilities is necessary or desirable at some time in the future, I have to tell you that from my perspective it beggars belief that you would even consider discretionary spending of this magnitude in today's economic climate. It is not the role of our HOA to provide an economic stimulus program.

If there are sufficient surplus funds in the operating account for the year then I would question our budgetary process. If it is to come from reserves, then I think a serious review of our reserves should be undertaken -- for example, what percentage do our reserves make up of expected future expenses?

In any event, I fully understand that spending other peoples' money is quite an easy process. However I would urge you to remember, in our present economic climate that it is, in fact, the homeowners money. Using the number of $229 per household from Mr. Fuchs's recent letter, if indeed such an unexpected surplus has arisen, I would like it returned.

Pool access and photo IDs.

For many years I have supported or advocated for decent control of access at our pool and recreation center. However, in the absence of hearing how the Board intends to enforce access, even with photo IDs, I am left somewhat perplexed by this project.

Are we now to have pool monitors? (Maybe not a bad idea) When this was suggested by another Board member some years ago, I recall Mr. Fuchs, for one, was not in favor of it. If our homeowners are to be inconvenienced to the extent of some 1,200+ visits to obtain access cards, it would be good to hear how this work will be rewarded by workable enforcement.

As an aside on this issue, I will tell that as a homeowner, it is my opinion that my household should have relatively unimpeded access to the community center and pool. For example, I do not understand why it should be necessary for me to accompany my 60-year old sister-in-law if she wishes to swim here when she is visiting us.

Sincerely,

Anthony C. Humpage

**********************
Our community manager told me he included a copy of my letter in the Board packets. I received no feedback other than from President Fuchs who thanked me for my input.

No comments:

Post a Comment